Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nwsnut.nlm and nwconfig

Status
Not open for further replies.

zevona

MIS
Jun 30, 2006
US
Greetings,

I have a NW6.5 box that yesterday I got up to NW6.5sp5. I needed to
go back to NW6.5 for a reinstall of Apache/Tomcat. Brought it back up
in NW6.5 and all is good. Went to install SP5 via NWCONFIG and I get a NWSNUT.NLM unresolved error. I understand this nlm is loaded in c:\nwserver and I did verify that it's there. Loading it manually doesn't work. I do have 2 versions of it (one in c:\nwserver and the other in the backup directory from my first attempt at the SP5 update). Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

-andy-

I don't quite follow exactly what you did there..

But.. If you have installed NW6.5 SP5, and THEN you need to add additional products.. The best way to do it is to download the NetWare 6.5 SP5 OVERLAY Product CD (CD#2) and install from that. Then you don't end up with mismatched files etc.

Marvin

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

How do you install the CD without accessing NWconfig?

Oh.. Sorry I was making some assumptions..

When you install from an Overlay, you use the GUI. So you have to run "STARTX" from the console.

This might not get past your mismatched files problem. But in the future you'll know.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Hi Marvin,

I also have a problem running StartX - some nlm's load, but the full GUI never arrives. I'm assuming it's a JAVA issue. All related to mismatched files I guess. Is there anyway to run NWCONFIG or other utilities remotely? I do have another NW6 (sp5) box that runs fine. Wondering if I can just copy all the files in c:\nwserver to this one, then but up OK? Or...all I really want to do is reinstall NW (either 6 or 6.5 at this point). Is there anyway, such as booting of a CD that this is possible? I'd really not like to blow away this server. It's running GW and I don't want to do a restore.

Thanks again,

-andy-

Go to and download "Beyond Compare."

Install it and use it to compare the SYS:\SYSTEM folder on the good server and the SYS:\SYSTEM on the server that's not working.

be VERY careful and use extreme caution, but you should be able to find your mismatched files this way.

Also compare C:\NWSERVER on both servers. You can mount and access the C: drive by doing a LOAD "DOSFAT.NSS" from the console prompt. Then from your workstation, map a drive to the \\SERVER_NAME\DOSFAT_C. Once you do that, you can use Beyond compare one to the other. (Loading DOSFAT.NSS will mount your C: drive as a NetWare volume called "DOSFAT_C")

Note that this is somewhat unorthodox and you could cause serious other problems if you copy the wrong files. ONLY copy .NLM files and ONLY ones that you are actually having problems with. Sync files One at a TIME. Do NOT under any circumstances do a sync, mirror, or otherwise.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Marvin - thanks VERY much for your suggestions. I'll be giving this a try on Monday. Cross your fingers...

-andy-

Clarification on the syntax:

LOAD DOSFAT.NSS

That's the command from the console. No quotes.

Is it possible to do the compare even though the good server is running 6.0.5 and the bad is running 6.5?

Hi Marvin,

I was able to bring the server up running 6.0.5. But now I'm having board issues - my CE100B drivers are not loading correctly (I can't use any tcp/ip services, nor display any servers) I'm assuming this has to do with either the Server.exe update I did preiously or the whole 6.0.5 to 6.5.5. So... I ran nwconfig and wanted to reinstall 6.0.5. At the point where it asks for username and password, I enter the fully qualified name (.cn-admin.o=as), but it tells me it's incorrect. This is because it can't authenticate from the master server?

How do I either load the drivers manually (how do I even know what versions are correct? I have CE100B.* in many locations now) OR how can I get that username and password to take?

-andy-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back