Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NWRecover 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

renault5

Technical User
Oct 1, 2001
PL

Hi all ,
please forgive my ignorance but with Legato I am used to running operations through the gui , what I would like to do to speed things up is to be able to run a script
that mimics the script sent to the backup server after the 'start recover' option has been selected from the nwrecover menu - I regularly do restores from a production machine to a test machine and am growing bored of going through the menus to change client , select browse time and selecting directories and files to restore , the only parameter I ever have to change is the date from which the restore is to run.

Client DEC Alpha Tru64 (Ultrx)
Backup server NT

Thanks in advance

Renault5

Hi Renault5
You find all you are asking for in the "recover" man pages. If you are familiar with shell-scripts (you are working on Tru64?) you can make a script something like this:

#!/bin/sh
# first some logic to read in parameters:
echo "Name of file or directory"
# A full pathname to the file/dir.
read rec_file

echo "Date to recover from"
#must be a legal networker time spec (see nsr_getdate)
read rec_date

# start recover with parameters
recover -c [fromclient] -R [toclient] << EOF
changetime $rec_date
add $rec_file
recover
EOF

!!this is just an idea!! I have not tested this particullar script, but I have used many of the Networker commands in shell-scripts for automating systems management.

regards
arneb

Thanks for the tip - I will work on it.

Regards

Renault5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back