Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NW51very slow upload speed (download speed normal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shemsher

IS-IT--Management
Dec 13, 2002
US
We have Novell 5.1 sp8 server with Intel CE1000 NIC Card. Enabled TCP/IP and IPX.
Board configured as full duplex = 2, Speed = 100, other kept default. NW Client installed in the client pc with Ver: 4.91 sp1 with IP only.

Noticed that uploading of any files/folders takes long time, but the download from the server is normal. Will appreciate to resolve the issue.

Hi Marvin,

I noticed the following errors in LAN/WAN and will appreciate your response.

1. Received failed, bad frame alighment 7,622
2. Alignment error 7,622
3. Rx crc error count 15,483
4. Rx length error count 20
5. Received failed checksum error 15,483 and
6. Received failed, packet length mismitch 20

Thanks,

Your NIC is obviously mismatched with the port on the switch.
Those errors will kill your transfers.

You need to find out how your Switch port is configured as far as Speed and Duplex. I'm guessing that your server is manually set at Forced 100/Full, and the switch port is trying to AutoNegotiate. When configured this way, the switch port will fail and most likely revert to 10/half or 100/half.

You need either both set at 100/full forced, or set both at Auto Negotiate. Once both are set at the same, the errors should stop.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

This is a common problem that people suffer from quite regularly in my experience. Like Marv says, auto negotiate connections do not negotiate to full duplex.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Thanks to both of you. Yes it was the switch. I reconfigured the switch to full duplex as well as the server and now working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back