Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NW 5.1 and Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

coben

Instructor
Apr 16, 2002
US
I've installed a NW 5.1 server on a Dell Gx260 computer with 1GIG RAM, 2GIG Hz processor. I have a workstation running XP which I installed the latest client for XP with SP2. I'm trying to copy SP6 to the server to upgrade it. The problem: When I login to server FS1, with supervisor privilages to [ROOT] and I try to access any volume, I'm told I don't have access rights. I can, however, login to server FS1 from an older computer running WIN 98 and I have no problems accessing the file system. Very strange.

I can also login to other servers on my network (different trees) with supervisor rights to [ROOT] and access those files systems just fine from the XP workstation.

Any ideas why XP/NetWare won't give me file access on FS1?
Thanks
Chris

I figured it out. Somehow my workstation name was the same as my server name. Once I changed it, it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back