Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NW 5.0 and eDirectory 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawnBoy

MIS
Mar 12, 2003
We've got a couple of NW 5.0 SP6a servers running, and are about to build a new server and put NW 6.5 on it. The install documentation tells me that we must first have eDir running on our NW5 servers. We are planning on using the NW6.5 install routine to load eDir on our NW5 servers.

Anybody know of any problems we might face? We will, of course, make thorough backups first...

That's BS. You don't need eDir on your old servers. Plus I don't think that eDir is even supported on NW5.0. It requires at least NW5.1.

The main thing to make sure of is that:

A) Your DS version on NW5.0 is the latest version (Probably 7.x). Last time I checked, it was DS 7.62a.
B) Make sure you properly prepare your current tree with the deployment manager on the NW6.5 cd. Pretty much this means extending the schema.
C) Make sure tree is healthy, time is in sync.

Additionally, if you run into problems during the "Add to tree" part, you may first need to install the NW6.5 server into it's own tree, then import the schema back and forth between the 5.0 tree and the 6.5 tree. Once the schemas match you shouldn't have any problem putting the 6.5 server into the main tree.

(The first 6.x server into the tree is always the toughest)

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Marv is correct. If you use the deployment manager it will prep your tree for 6.5. We are in the process of upgrading 20 sites to 6.5 and have NW4.2, NW5.1, NW6.0 & NW6.5 servers running DS6.21, DS8.85c and DS10550.98 (otherwise known as eDirectory 8.7.3) all in the same tree. (Not that I recommend that...) I built my first 6.5 in a different tree for testing and learning purposes which was well worth it! Learning to use iManager will be easier if you are in a non-production tree first. By the end of the month we will have upgraded all 4.x & 5.x servers and that will be a relief.

Cheers ;-)
Mark

Wow, you guys just saved me from a nightmare weekend. Lunch is on me next time you're in the neighborhood. In the meantime have a star, both of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back