Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NVRAM Cartridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJSD333

Vendor
Feb 19, 2005
US
Hello,
I was just reading the CD for MICS 6.1.Checking out the upgrade section. If you have an MICS with say 4.0 in it with a Rel 01 NVRAM cartridge in it and you want to upgrade to say 7.0 without losing the programming.At what point do you install the Rel 02 NVRAM and use the upgrade tool. I'm confused by the instructions. The way I'm understanding it you power the system down and insert the new Rel 02 NVRAM then insert the upgrade tool into the NVRAM,power up and wait for the system to say (Insert MICS Card).Power down and put in MICS card and power up. Here's the confusion. Isn't the programming stored on the NVRAM? If you take out the Rel 01 NVRAM and put in the new Rel 02 NVRAM have't you just lost all the programming? Or am I totally missing something here?
Dmac,

first do a back up...then replace the cartridge...do a restore..then do upgrade per nortels instructions..if not sure iether call them or search forum...been discussed numerous times

lugerlover,
Now that makes more sense. No mention of doing the backup in the Nortel manuel.
Thanks,
Dmac,

I have replaced the rel 2 cart and not lost any programing. Replace berore you upgrade.

Here is how I have done it with no problems. I completed a backup and then replaced the NVRAM and powered back up. I then Powered down and put in the 6.1 software and powered up. Then I used the 7.0 upgrade tool.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)

I have just followed those exact directions and the upgrade was completed without any issues. The system kept all of its programming. However 24 hours later the system reinitialized 3 times within 6 minutes before coming back up. The system has done this 3 days in a row after the upgrade. Most recently about an hour ago. It seems to run for about 24 hours before rebooting several times in a row. Tech support has stated that the only reason they know that could cause this is corrupt software or a corrupt database. We are replacing the software first. If that does not resolve the issue, we will do a system restart and program from scratch. Any ideas????

yes do a startup and wipe out prog and start from scratch...or first check power and power supply..alot easier

The system started reinitializing several times during the day. I replaced the software and reprogrammed the system and everything is ok for the last 48 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back