Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nVidia TNT2 problem with plasma screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

tel1209

Technical User
Sep 29, 2005
GB
I have an nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 graphics card installed and I am running XP Pro SP2. After installation, XP recognised the graphics card correctly and installed a driver accordingly. I have a resolution of 1600 x 900 available which matches the aspect ratio of my plasma screen perfectly. Everything is great until I reboot the machine at which time something happens to graphics card driver and the 1600 x 900 resolution has disappeared. I have to roll back to a system restore point to get that resolution back and then, again, it is fine until a reboot. Any ideas on what is going on here? I have tried several different drivers to get the 1600 x 900 back but only the system restore to the inital driver works. All help is appreciated. Tel

A TNT2 card is very old now. I'm not sure that it actually supports this resolution.

I have found however that not all Nvidia drivers has the all the different resolution available for selection.

You might want to check out a modified driver like Omega driver I used to use this when I had a Nvidia card and it let me chose from a the whole range of resolutions.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Many thanks for your reply Jump1ng. I tried the Omega driver but it does not contain a 1600 x 900 resolution and the one from the generic driver disappeared again after the installation of the omega driver and the re-boot.

However, the omega driver DID improve the quality of the picture on the plasma screen and, after spending some time going through all the supported resolutions with a calculator, I found one which gives the same aspect ratio as the 1600 x 900 did. This was the big issue to resolve rather than the exact resolution.

The image on the plasma now looks great. Thanks again for your help.

No problems mate.

It might just be that 1600x900 is not properly supported by your TNT2 card.

But I'm glad you got improved picture quality. I found the same problem on TFT screen's and the fact that some resolution looks utterly rubbish. Whereas an old style CRT seemed to cope better with the more exotic resolutions.

Happy viewing mate!

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back