Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nvidia TNT2 M64 Keeps on Restarting My PC When Playing Games 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

icepac

ISP
Nov 16, 2001
PH
Im using Windows XP with Nvidia TNT2 M62 32mb video card in Athlon 750mhz 128sdram....

When I play Mech4 my pc restarts itself after a minute....i updated my video drivers and directx but nothin seems to work... I tried playing other games like TigerWoods 2002, d same problem i got but this time it goes back to my desktop...

What kind of motherboard? Several models had problems supporting the TNT2 chipset's voltage requirements (FIC comes to mind -- pieces of crap).

If it's using the VIA apollo 133 chipset, expect lots of fun.

Also, if it is indeed a "low-end" motherboard, you might try lowering the AGP acceleration to 1x (certainly don't run it at 4x).

Good luck.

Hey, this problem is very common. It's part nVidia's fault part Microsofts. If u are running XP w/TNT2 Ultra (like i am) then every game using Hardware acceleration will crash without a doubt. I used to play MoH:AA and every day i would reboot 30+ times. It was painstakingly annoying. I even bout dual fans and installed to keep my temperature down with little difference. Then i read on some forum that the nVida drivers CONFLICT with the XP built in drivers and it screws it all up.

I installed WinME yesterday and games work like a charm, no crashes. But unfortunately WinME doesnt suit me well and i just cant spend my time on that OS.

I sent nVidia a email about the problems, and asked for even a confiramtion they knew about it, and i got nothing from those darn people. So i dunno what we TNT2 users can do, only option is to buy the newest GeForce cards, but i am not that well off financialy and i cant afford to upgrade :(

if anyone has any solutions to this, PLEASE TELL ME!!!!!

Oh and BTW, i also have a box very similar to yours:
Athlon AMD 750mhz
256MB SDRAM
Asus nVidia Riva TNT2 Ultra Deluxe (32mb)

The one thing i can suggest to you, is get some games that support "software rendering", its very hard to find now a days, but grab "Unreal Tournament" (the original), it supports it, and there are still hundreds of ppl playing online. Until u can afford a new card or until they fix this problem, at least u can have something to play on xp :)

The one way i see to make them fix faster, is to start up a website\petition on how many ppl really suffer from this issue as well as put together packages full of error reports from TNT2 users and keep bugging nVidia+Microsoft to fix this darn error. What do u guys think?

Have you tried disabling V-sync? This may or may not be elementary, but I had it work for me when I was having problems. My nVidia GeForce MX440 wsa playing choppy games until I rolled back the drivers to an older version (3.8 vs. 4.2?)
A 16 Meg Voodoo 3 wouldn't support Vertical sync. Good luck

i'm currently running windows me and my box refuses to belive that i've but a tnt 2 m64 in it. and I thought the darn thing was supposed to be plug and play.

You've got to remove the old video card drivers and install the new drivers before the new video card is detected. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

I have recently bought a Nvidia TNT2 M64 graphics card, and plugged it into my AGP slot after taking out my old Voodoo 2000 PCI 16mb. Turned my machine on and absolutely nothing but the odd couple of beeps from my machine. Swapped back the video cards and everything was perfect again......

Is it something I'm doing wrong, I have A Win98 machine with a K7S5A Motherboard 256MB Dimm and An Athlon 1gb processor......

Is it my machine or the card, is there any way of telling ?

Paul

Make sure your bios has AGP selected. Also, make sure your old drivers are removed and install Nvdia Version 28.32 from their website. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Your XP box is rebooting because you have auto reboot enabled. With auto reboot enabled, whenever you get a stop message from your game, the machine automatically reboots. To disable auto reboot right click my computer then select properties. Select the advanced tab, then in the startup and recovery section press the settings button. Finally in the system failure area uncheck automatically restart. Now the next time your game crashes you will get the stop error message, something like Stop 0x0000007. With this number you are ready to search the internet to find probable causes for your crash. Hope this helps you resolve your problem.
AdminGuy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back