Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nvidia nv4_disp error

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregmacca

IS-IT--Management
Aug 7, 2002
GB
I have been having persistent trouble with an nvidia graphics card - i keep getting a nv4_disp error. i reinstalled the video driver and this seemed to cure the problem. then i installed jaws screen reader and it gave a message that the software basically wasn't compatible with nvidia so i aborted the installation of jaws. then the next day i got the nv4_disp error again. i use win xp pro and the computer (a dell laptop) is only a few weeks old. should i replace the graphics card??

I got the same error after upgrading to 29.42 Nvidia drivers - try downloading 28.32 drivers. After I put those back on, the problem went away.

FYI, if you need to make your Dell Laptop system stable, disabling all video hardware acceleration will do it. The video performance is very bad afterwards, but at least you can use the computer without crashing every 5 minutes.

Seems like everyone should get together and slap a lawsuit on Dell for selling products with incompatible hardware and OS, and then not living up to their guarantees by fixing it!

sweenmachine,

You have got to be more specific about your Dell. I have in my household 4 that are on essentially 18/7, and in my practice several hundred. I have never had to adjust the hardware slider except in one case of a specific game.

Several points to consider:

1. Dell in the main uses ATI and not nvidia for its laptops chips. If you managed to install nvidia drivers I suspect you made a mistake.

2. The top two p.i.a. of computers have to be video and sound drivers. I am not saying they are easy to make work correctly. But keeping current, letting XP do its thing in terms of IRQs, etc. is usually better than trying to outguess the OS and do it yourself. Particularly for a laptop, I really recommend you do not try and fiddle with what is discovered by the OS as a working arrangement. It reminds me of when my neighbor bought a Porsche Boxster with the automatic transmission option. Another neighbor was very critical about the issue. I told him that he was absolutely right, except that in urban driving situations like ours the auto will shift faster and better than you could by hand, and if necessary you could always turn it off and manually fiddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back