Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nvidia drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

samsonx

Technical User
May 5, 2003
AU
Can someone clear this up for me?

If you have a look at the nvida driver website, it contains a number of driver versions.

If you click on the first one (Version: 1.0-4363), you get a single driver file called 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run'

If you click on the third one (Version: 1.0-4191), you end up with options for the two GLX and Kernel files. From my understanding, setting up the nvidia drivers invovles compiling the GLX and Kernel (make install), editing your XF86Config, then your good.

What are the newer drivers for ('NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run')? As these for harware acceleration drivers for a nvidia card that is already functioning under X? For example, RH usually picks up nvidia cards fine. In this situation, would you install 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run'.

The .run file is a small script that is supposed to do an automated install of the GLX and kernel tarballs. It will in fact download those.
You can get the latest (4363) tarballs for the glx and kernel drivers from ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1

The .run file couldn't do the install for me so I still do it manually with the tarballs.

The first one you mentioned should still work. You will probably get an error saying it cannot find a match for your kernel. Just continue and set it up. Modify your XF86Config (or -4) and your good.

The older ones come with a separate kernel and glx file which you set up separately, but they still do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back