Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NVIDIA Black Screen 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksprech

Technical User
Aug 22, 2001
US
My problem is simailar to some other posts but has some different symptoms that I have not seen discussed. I just installed a new Maxtor 80G hard drive and an NVIDIA PCI graphics card. My operating system is ME and I have 512 in RAM. Everything works just fine but if I leave the machine on for an hour or so without using it, a black screen appears and I have to power down and restart in order get it to continue. If I have an application open, it is OK. The problem occurs only when sitting unused at the desktop. I installed the drivers that came with the new card. Any help would be appreciated.

If you move the mouse or press a key your display should come back. If it doesn't then try disabling power management settings.

Hi,

I ran into the same situation that you have after reinstalling Windows on a new HDD. After extensive troubleshooting I found that it was a conflict with my mouse software--Logitech--and the APM (Advanced Power Management)included with Windows. Unfortunately, the "fix" that Logitech offered did not work for me and setting the Power Management controls--located on the ScreenSaver Tab on the Display Properties screen to Never go into system stanby and never turn off the HDD and Monitor was the only way to keep from having these Freezes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back