Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NVARCHAR datatypes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudorathod

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2007
US
I've a nvarchar2 datatype for the column and when i extract the data using PERL, the file gets created. But, when i open the file using vi editor i get something like ^@A^@L^@P^@H^@A for the value ALPHA.
When i do more file_name, then i cannot see any columns after the nvarchar datatype column.

Can anyone suggest the solution.
I'm using 9i client

Thanks

personally, I have no idea what you are even talking about.

------------------------------------------
- Kevin, perl coder unexceptional! [wiggle]

Are you opening the file as binary or is the data being stored as binary? How did the ALPHA data get into the DB to begin with.. is it possible the bad data was put in there and it just isn't show up until you try and extract it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[noevil]
Travis - Those who say it cannot be done are usually interrupted by someone else doing it; Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions;

I don't think the data is being stored or opened in binary.
ALPHA is just an example for the data where i have nvarchar datatype.

in the table, its stored as ALPHA, but when i extract it, it comes out in file as ^@A^@L^@P^@H^@A and thats too when i open it in vi editor. When i do head/tail then it looks good as ALPHA only. When i do more , then all the columns extracted with and after nvarchar column does not show on the screen.

Thanks

show us your perl script

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[noevil]
Travis - Those who say it cannot be done are usually interrupted by someone else doing it; Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back