Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Numerous forward slashes ("/") in TEXT and HTML <TD>

Status
Not open for further replies.

micjohnson

Programmer
Nov 9, 2000
US
I am getting description text dynamically and display it on the report. The table width is "800" but when my description contains multiple forward slashes ("/"), the table is displaying wider and collapsing the table. How do I escape the "/".

Here is the code.

=================================
<style>
.p {padding-left:3px;
padding-right:3px}
</style>

<table border="0" width="800">

<tr>
<td colspan="6" class="t3" style="text-align:justify;padding-left:0px">
<b>Description:</b>
<span class="p">Description: Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test <br />text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text Test text<br /> Test text Test text Test text Test tex /server1/folder1/vol1 /server2/folder2/vol2 /server3/folder3/vol3 /server4/folder4/vol4 /server5/folder5/vol5 /server6/folder6/vol6 <br />/server7/folder7/vol7 /server8/folder8/vol8 /server9/folder9/vol9 /server10/folder10/vol10 /server11/folder11/vol11 /server12/folder12/vol12<br /> /server13/folder13/vol13 /server14/folder14/vol14 /server15/folder15/vol15 /server16/folder16/vol16 /server17/folder17/vol17 /server18/folder18/vol18</span>
</td>
</tr>

</table>

==============================================

Thanks in advance.

It is NOT because of "multiple slashes". It is because there are no spaces in the string to allow it to "wrap".

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

darryncooke, I am using ColdFusion to pull the text from oracle.

ChrisHirst, There is a space between vol# and /server#/

Thanks for your time.

I don't have experience in CF. But I've pointed you on the right path I'm about 95% sure of that.

you might be able to use Mysql as well to strip the slashes but I don't know the syntax for that.

the Mysql function is mysql_real_escape_string($str) for this but i've never used it, only tried and found the PHP version much easier.

Darryn Cooke
| Marketing and Creative Services

It doesn't like the /. As a test, change them to \ and it'll wrap.

try escaping the / as Darryn suggested.

-Geates

"I hope I can chill and see the change - stop the bleed inside and feel again. Cut the chain of lies you've been feeding my veins; I've got nothing to say to you!"
-Infected Mushroom

"I do not offer answers, only considerations."
- Geates's Disclaimer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back