Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Numeric pad not echoing numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravashaak

Technical User
Nov 23, 2003
US
A friend's system is experiencing issues where the numeric pad number keys fail to echo anything to the screen. This occurs regardless of the state of the numlock key. Before I go any further, let me post the system specs and what I've had her try so far.

The OS is Windows XP Pro SP2. The keyboard is a Standard MS Natural PS/2 keyboard. Although her problem occurs even when she connects a different keyboard to the system. Numeric keypad characters such as *, -, +, etc echo just fine. Pressing the NumLock key toggles the NumLock keyboard LED indicator as expected. However, regardless of whether or not the NumLock indicator is lit, no numbers will echo via the numeric pad keys. I've had her remove the keyboard via device manager, reboot, and allow Windows to redetect the keyboard, but to no avail. I've had her reset the registry value "InitialKeyboardIndicators" (to a value of 2) for all instances found in registry.

I plan to have her connect a keyboard via usb to see if the problem continues. In order to completely eliminate a hardware cause, I also plan on having her boot from a CD, then test the numeric pad's functionality. However, my intuition tells me this is a software problem. I'm just a little stumped at present. I'd like to solve this issue as it's rather odd and somewhat intruiging.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

- Ravashaak

Have you looked at "StickyKeys" or "ToggleKeys" or "FilterKeys" in Control Panel/ Accessibility Options, see if they are checked?

How does it behave if you use the OnScreen Keyboard from Start Menu/ Programs/ Accessories Accessibility?

Linney,

I'll have her check those and I'll post the results once she replies. It might take a couple of days. Thanks for the advice.

- Ravashaak

Ok. She got back to me quicker than I anticipated.

Looks like StickyKeys, FilterKeys, and ToggleKeys were all disabled.

The on-screen keyboard displays none of the numeric pad issues (ie it echoes numbers to the screen via the numeric pad just fine).

- Ravashaak

I wonder then if it is some type of hardware connection fault at the rear of the computer?

The connection itself is a possibility that needs to be eliminated. I guess it's time I have her connect via usb and re-test.

I'm also asking her to boot into safe mode and test there (something I completely forgot to try).

Additionally, I've asked her to boot via some form of bootable media, into another environment (bootable CD, etc), then re-test.

I'll post the results. Thanks for the help so far.

- Ravashaak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back