Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Numbers show as strings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesperengel

Technical User
Nov 7, 2005
DK
I am using CRxi with a xsd schema file and xml file in Visual Studio DOT.NET.

In the Field Explorer window the fields show as numbers, but when I insert them in my report they show and act like strings.

I cannot just use the ToNumber formula because that will ruin some of my other formulas, so I need CR to recognize them as numbers.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

What does show and act like numbers mean?

What happens if you create a formula of:

{table.field} + 100

If that doesn't error, then the field is a numeric.

Rather than using terms such as "show and act like numbers", why not post the real observation?

-k

I don't understand
that will ruin some of my other formulas.
If you convert a field using a formula field, you can then display the formula field while still unsing the unconverted data elsewhere.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Ok I will try and explain further.

In the field explorer the field shows as a "number". I then insert it into my report in details, and when I point the mouse on the field it says "string". When I try and format the field to 2 decimals, I do not have the "Numbers" tab in the Format Editor.

If I use the field without using ToNumber in a formula it will generate an error saying:

A string is required here.
Error in File C:\Doc……:
Error in formula <numbertest>.
‘{Stroke.LaunchData.ballVelocity} + 100’
A string is required here.

Hope this was more accurate.

Thank you.

Just an update,

I updated CRXI to SR2 and now the fields show up in Details as numbers as well. Do not know what caused the problem.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back