Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Numbering "records" in a query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaydub

Technical User
Mar 24, 2002
US
I am trying to create a senority list with a query. Is there a way create a feild in a query that will number the records?

Microsoft Knowledgebase article 208946 describes how to rank records within a query. That should give you what you want.

Michael
BASD IS/IT Dept

This doesn't realy help me. I have a list already made and just need to add a feild that will number them in the current order they are in from 1 to what ever the last record is. Thank you for your input. I have been playing with it and connot make it work with the information given in the article.

If you go to Microsoft Knowledgebase Article 182568, there is a sample query file you can download that will show you exactly how the ranking works. You'll have to convert it to Access 2000 but I tried it and it works. Even though you don't need the system to 'calculate' a ranking, you should be able to use the same filter parameters that created the list to also NUMBER the list. Hope this helps.

Michael
BASD IS/IT Dept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back