Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

numbering format

Status
Not open for further replies.

angler2229

Technical User
May 3, 2002
US
When I use the number button for a list, the last number in the list is never the same size as the rest of the document. It looks very unprofessional. Am I overlooking something?

I have tried several work-arounds to no avail. Things I have tried include backspacing and retyping, placing an extra return, unapplying and reapplying the numbering.

Thanks,

Daniel

Sorry, I forgot to include the following: using Windows 2000 and Office 2000.

Daniel

When I use the number button for a list"

Sorry I don't know what this means, can you explain?

When I create a list in a 12 point font

glacial flour
medial moraine
lateral moraine
terminal moraine
erratic

then apply the numbering tool from the button bar, the result becomes

1. glacial flour
2. medial moraine
3. lateral moraine
4. terminal moraine
5. erratic

However, the number "5" is always two points smaller than the rest. Sometimes the last number or the next to the last number is in bold. The effect takes place in the screen version and printed version.

Have you tried highlighting the entire list and applying a single formatting to all? Even if you think it should be the same format, this isn't always the case I've found.

Yes. I have tried all of what I thought would be obvious solutions: changed text size of the entire document, changed the font, and changed the style. I started doing some weird work-arounds like placing extra returns in the text. None of the tricks will work.

Daniel

If Blue's suggestion doesnt work, try going into Outline view and check if all your list items are at the same outline level.

BlueHorizon,
I did reset the numbering. Still the same.

Stray Bullet,
Looked at the document in outline, and all the levels are the same.

I did one more thing today. I dropped in the Office CD and did a Detect and Repair... No change.

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi agian,
Always a fall-back position, but have you thought about closing Word, deleting the Normal.dot and re-opening Word. This forces Word to create a new Normal.dot. Maybe that would help?

Best,
Blue Horizon [2thumbsup]

Or maybe change NO.1 from glacial flour to glacial till ... (just kidding)

Or to add to BlueHorizon's you could just re-name Normal.dot for a test run and re-name it back if you have stuff you wish not to change.

Check the text type, is it "normal", "heading 1", "footnote" (located on the formating toolbar just left of the font type most likely)? Also check to make sure the font for that line wasn't changed to super-script of the like.

I had a problem with copying from one word document to another where word would randomly change text types and font types. I found I had to change the text type to "normal" and open font properties for the entire selection and de-select the "superscript" option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back