Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Number set to Target Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickdel

Programmer
May 11, 2006
GB
I have a very large dataset from which I need to create a subset of customers where their balance equals a target value...

So for example, giving the following dataset:

Customer 1 - 30
Customer 2 - 100
Customer 3 - 50
Customer 4 - 20
Customer 5 - 50

If I set my target value to 120, then I would expect the following combinations:
Customer 2 + Customer 4
OR
Customer 3 + Customer 4 + Customer 5

Is there a proc in SAS to do this or can someone give me a bit of direction on how I should approach this?

Thanks

where would we be without rhetorical questions...

It seems that it can have n number of combinations for a given target value. More to this one customer might be contributing to every possible combinations and so get dupicated.
This is very complex task to achieve. And I dont think there is any ready made PROC available for this in SAS; So Better to have more clarification on the requirement.

sasbuddy

Hi,

thanks for the response. You're correct, this is a very complex task and I actually found this article which describes the problem a lot better. Sadly it also highlights the unlikelihood of me achieving this!

Thanks anyway,

Nick

where would we be without rhetorical questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back