Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Number of SMS clients for brand new install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidarz

MIS
Jun 27, 2007
US
My question is how much does it matter what number of clients I enter during install when it asks for "Number of SMS clients:"? This is a brand new install. At the moment we only plan on using SMS on our servers. Long term we may use it on our workstations, but that has yet to be decided upon by management. The way I am reading it this only matters if you are upgrading etc. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think it has to do with the db size it sets up, but if you set the db to auto-grow it's a non issue. I could be completely wrong of course :-D

That is the way I am reading it too. Database is set that way so should be good. If not won't find out for a while anyway so should be ok.

Indeed, the number of SMS Clients helps size the database and log. I would recommend adding 25-30% to your estimated client size. If you anticipate a larger client count at some point, go with the your projected estimate. While auto grow is a nice feature, too much growing can fragment the db file and also takes some performance away from the system while the db file is growing.

Bottom line, go with a number that represents your final client count plus about 20%.

I would recommend allocating about 1 MB per client using default HW Inventory, SW Inventory of EXE's, typical DSUW and SW distro usage, and no metering or OSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back