Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Number Of IT Staff To Support Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

webuser

MIS
Jun 1, 2001
US
My company has about 130 workstations and 10 servers. The servers are all housed in the main office, along with 100 out of the 130 PCs/users. The 4 branches have the remaing 30 PCs. The network is completely windows based. The servers are either Windows 2000 or 2003, and the workstations are either 2000 or XP. Among the servers are Exchange, SQL Server, IIS, ISA, some file servers, print servers etc, and several proprietary applications.

My question: Does anyone have an opinion as to what would be the typical number of IT staff that would run such a network? I know each network is different but I'm looking for a rough estimate.

Thank you in advance.

IMHO, one Admin, one tech.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

I run a comparable network as the example. No techs.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Since its all Windows based I would say at least a dozen or more!!!!

(One should do just fine)

I'm Certified, not certifiable
It just means my answers are from a book, not from experience.
And the book is "AOL for dummies and PC's for dummies".

It also depends on how demanding the users are and how critical uptime is. I've ran smaller networks that needed 3 people (and larger networks that only needed one) due to the demands placed on the IT department. I've seen ratios of 5/1 and 100+/1. In short, only you can tell how big of a staff you need.

Good luck,

FredUG

Well, it's true what they say. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

I guess we are on the heavy side. We have 15 servers and approximately 150 WS. 10 servers and 80 WS are at one site, with IS manager, one Tech/Admin, and one Programmer/DB Admin. The other servers and WS are located between 5 other sites. With one Admin\Tech at the biggest remote site. We still get overwelmed by the work load sometimes.

As was stated earlier you need to decide how many people you will need.

At a minimum I would want one higher level admin/network person and one lower level tech for hardware/workstation issues mostly but with some admin experience, training or at least ambitions.

Problem obviously occures if your admin guy is in Bermuda on vacation and some bad virus or other catastrophy hits the servers and they need rebuilt/reloaded. Also assumes the admin guy could do hardware in case of emergency and tech is gone.

If you're willing to pay the price (dollars and time) of a contractor in the event of a catatrophy the admin can be a lower level position too but I would think at least two people to cover sick/vacation time.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that we have a consultant "in the wings" for when I'm out.

Depends what the job descriptions cover. My remit now covers training, Office expert, programmer, database designer, SQL server expert, network infrastructure manager and a dozen other hats...

Traditional support used to be 1 tech per 17 users, but now you have to expect about 1 to 40. But you gotta be fairly organised to do that.

Thanks for your replies. Is there a resource / survey for something like this? I know there are lots of salary surveys but I have not found data on the ratios we have been discussing...Also, in terms of salary, what would you guess an IT director of this company should be making?

Thanks again.

Salaries are dependant on too many things to guess, location, experience, market, economy, company politics and culture.

Good luck,

FredUG

Other thing to consider is the number and types of apps you are supporting...home grown junk is normally tougher to support then standard microsoft apps. Are you also responsable for web site, exchange servers...etc.

As far as standared salaries goes, there are so few jobs out there atm, I think you can offer almost anything and you will have about 1000 people applying for it. Trouble is weeding out the good from the bad, I would suggest using the 6 month probation period effectivly to cut loose anyone not working out...I find most IT managment is reluctant to fire people during this period

btw - I'm in Toronto, Canada...so maybe the situation is differant in your locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back