Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Number of Digital extensions on a BCM450 before a CEC card needs to be added

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR Comm

Programmer
Jan 23, 2017
US
I have a BCM 450 with 1 DTI, 1 ASM 8, AND 4 DSM 32. That is 128 digital sets. My question is how many more (have 4 now) DSM32 can be added without adding the CEC expansion card. This 450 has no IP set key codes using all digital.

The CEC is needed if the system will be supporting more than 100 extensions of any type (digital, analog or IP), or 48 trunks of any type. The card adds more resources. Your system will probably work if you go over the limits, but you'll likely notice problems.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Thanks it had been awhile since I cross this issue I knew we were getting close.

The CEC adds DSP resources to the BCM450 system. For digital trunks, digital sets and analog sets, you need DSP resources only for conferencing and for voicemail. That means for a mainly digital system, you probably won't need the CEC at all.
To see the actual usage of DSP resources, you can use BCM Monitor. The Media Card tab shows detailed usage of each of the 4 DSP devices on the BCM450 mainboard. The Usage Indicators tab shows the percentage of used DSP resources. BCM Monitor also allows you to log data in case you want to get usage info for a longer period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back