Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Number of channels per trunk - what decides?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipind

IS-IT--Management
Oct 16, 2009
KE
Hello guru,

Having not attended any Avaya/VoIP courses, I keep wondering about a lot of things I encounter. Today something hot me thinking:
I am looking at my IP Trunks and I see them configured with
x - Number of channels
x - Outgoing channels
x - voice channels

Now my questions:
1. How does one know the total number of channels available on a unit before even deciding to allocate them? Is it the figure specified on the VCM? Like VCM 16, for instance??
2. What determines the number of channels to allocate per trunk?
3. Is it possible to run out of channels? What effect does this have on the system?

I have an IPO406v2 which sometimes gives me funny behaviour and I keep wondering whether this has something to do with these channels. For example, looking at System Status, I see that it has:

Data = 50
VCM = 5
VM = 4
Modem = 0
Conference = 64

In System Hardware Summary, I can see that slot A of this system has ATM4U (4-port analog card), and it also has a VCM5 in the first VCM slot. I have an IPO403 which I have taken off service, and it has a VCM 16 installed in it. Can I take this out and install it on the IPO406? Is it compatible? Will it improve service on the IPO406?

Thank you guys (in adv).

Yes swap the VCM 5 for the VCM 16
It is a better card because it has more echo cancellation.
Also you have more VCM channels of course :p

The amount of channels set in the ip trunk needs to match the amount of VCM channels you want to use or can use.
Also you can set this to prevent over capacity on that trunk and then it can be routed by ARS to the normal trunks.

ACS IP Office or is it ACSS :)
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back