Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Null values imported from Excel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuVBer

Programmer
Jul 6, 2001
US
I'm trying to import an Excel spreadsheet into a table using DTS. The data I'm importing is a mix of text characters and numbers in Excel that I've formatted into text. When I import it to a SQL table I get values for the text, but NULLS for the numeric data. I am creating the field as nvarchar. Is there something else I can do to avoid the NULLS and get it to import the values as characters?

save the excel spreadsheet as a csv or txt file then import it - that will work - excel is awful to use with DTS.

[bandito] [blue]DBomrrsm[/blue] [bandito]

Great - I avoid Excel where possible.

[bandito] [blue]DBomrrsm[/blue] [bandito]

If you don't mind me asking...
Why do you avoid excel with DTS? I tried both excel and csv and my data imported nicely.

I do have a question that fits this post. Any field that is blank (empty) in my excel or csv file is imported as '<NULL>'. Am i just being too picky and this really doesn't matter, or is there a way to replace '<NULL>' with '' while importing.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

The EXCEL is so bad for formatting. Sometime converting integers,chars etc would have issues. Use CSV, txt, are the safe way to go. Good luck

Dr. Sql
goEdeveloper@yahoo.com
Good Luck.

I had the same issue, but unfortunatly I couldn't get away from using xls files... so instead of using Table/View as the source for the transform, I use a query,

SELECT Fields
FROM [ExcelWorksheet$]
WHERE (PONum IS NOT NULL)

My Excel file must have a PONum in order to be imported, this fixes the problem that I was having where the DTS package imported empty records because I had formatted them.

HTH,
Drew

Excel might work for me because I have been exporting a table form SQL Server to Excel. Do all my formatting and then import the Excel Worksheet back into SQL Server. I haven't had any problems yet, other than the Buffer size. I figured out how to get past that.

I can run an update statements on each column to replace the value <NULL>. When you have hundreds of columns, this proves to be a lengthy process. I'll run this statement...
--------------
UPDATE Table
SET ColumnName = ''
FROM Table
WHERE ISNULL(ColumnName, '') = ''
--------------

...or I tried using this in the DTS transformation...

--------------
If IsNull(DTSSource("ColumnName").value then
DTSDestination("ColumnName") = ""
Else
DTSDestination("ColumnName") = DTSSource("ColumnName")
End if
--------------

You still have to do this for each column you would like to get rid of <NULL>. I was just curious if there was a way to go through an entire table and replace <NULL> with "". My other question is; Am I being to picky about my database values?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back