Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Null values causing multiple rows

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnythesaint

Technical User
Feb 15, 2010
GB
Hello

I'm new to the board but not new to Business Objects.

I can't, however, seem to fix this seemingly simple problem.

A date field within my universe must have multiple rows. One for each value and one to return a null value.

Therefore, when I attempt to build a variable to ask if a specific customer has this date or not, that customer returns both a yes and a no, therefore being incorrectly double counted when I apply a sum.

The customer should only be returned as a "yes" if the date exists.

How do I get this on one row please?

Thanks

Jonny

You should not need to add Installation type to the group by as the column is not returned. If it does not work, then I suspect there is some setting to be changed. .prm files used to contain those settings, but I honestly do not know how this is regulated now. Perhaps Steve will kick in on this one..

Ties Blom

Yeah I had the same thoughts, but the error message specifically pointed to the fact that the Installation Type did not appear in "either an aggregate function or the GROUP BY clause".

I would argue that it DOES appear in an aggregate, but since this would be futile I resorted to hard coding it into the GROUP BY.

This seemed to work but still gave me incorrect reporting.

True, if you add it, the aggregate will never roll up to one record, giving you multiple records for more than one type per customer.
Hard coding is a definite no-no, I'd say.
If you are on sql2005/sql2008 then OLAP functions are available. They really offer lots of benefits!

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back