Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Null statement help

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj3221

Technical User
May 14, 2008
US
I'm not sure if this is considered a null statement but I'm pulling a field in a report (text field) and if the field is empty is not pulling the record at all. I want it to pull the record and just leave that field blank if there isn't anything in it.

The report is a list of orders with an "S" in a particular field (which means Special Order). I am pulling basic info like order no, item, item desc, etc. There is a text field called "NOTE" that I am pulling. This is the field that if it doesn't have anything in it, its ignoring the "S" order all together.

Thanks in advance!

Remove any direct usage of the notes field and use a formula instead:

@Notes:

if not isnull(table.notes) then table.notes
else ""

Make sure you don't use Notes field directly in grouping or filters, use the formula that tests the isnull case first.

Scotto the Unwise

Hi Scott,
Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I took out any reference to the note then added the formula. Its still coming back with nothing if the note is empty. This is what I am using as my formula:

if not isnull({p21_view_oe_line_notepad.note}) then {p21_view_oe_line_notepad.note} else

Is {p21_view_oe_line_notepad.note} used as a join between tables?

dunlop1975 has the right of it. If it is on the right side of a join between two tables then you need to right-click on the join line between them and change it to a "left outer join" (Check the FAQ).

Also, if there are any other tables joined down the line from this table, they too must be left outer joined (crystal will happily give you an error and return no records if you change from LO to Inner midstride).

Scotto the Unwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back