Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ntwk Hdwr Setup - Use server as router or use Linksys 4port as router? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsonm

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2002
US
I have a problem, and I need opinions as to what is best...

I have a small, 3 computer network connected to the Linksys 4port switch/router that is connected to my cable modem. The 3 machines are all running Windows XP Pro.

I want to install a 4th computer that will be the web/mail server running windows 2000 server (it's a slower machine). I also would like the win2k server to be the sole domain controller (so that everyone in the house will login to it).

The Windows 2000 Server has 2 network cards in it. I'm wondering if I should let the windows 2000 server be the router, and just use the Linksys as a simple switch, or if I should just let the windows 2000 server act as another node on Linksys switch (which will route traffic the same way it is now).

I'm leaning towards using the win2k server as the router, as it can assign IPs, work better with DNS, and it won't have to make the extra hop through the Linksys router. That, and I'd have more control over what is going on with my connection.

Please let me know what you think!
-Mike Johnson

I have to disagree. I agree with running DHCP and DNS off your Server, but no to the router. It is your Domain Controller, let the router do the routing. You may only have 4 machines, but I would still leave the router in place. Either way, leave the router in between your server and the cable modem, exposing your DC to the outside world= bad juju...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

So you think I should just pull the 2nd network card from the Server?

I see what you're saying- having the server hanging out on the Internet isn't the best idea- but I just didn't want a conflict when it came to both the Linksys and the Win2k Server handing out IPs.

I'll have to check when I get home to see if I can turn off DHCP on the Linksys.
-Mike

You can leave it on or turn it off. I usually leave them on as a backup. Just define a scope that does not overlap. Linksys serves 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.50. You server serves 192.168.1.75-192.168.1.125. Something like that. And you can edit the scope of the linksys to point to your server for DNS....

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

You wouldn't happen to know how to do that off the top of your head, would you? =)

Thanks for all the info so far- You've changed my mind! I'm going to leave the hardware setup as it is... now it's just a matter of getting it all configured correctly.

-Mike

Sure. Let me post back after I get home, I have a Linksys as well, and I'll describe it. I don't want to try and remember the settings in the router off the top of my head and steer you wrong.
As far as Win2k, open the DHCP snap-in and create a new scope. Define the hosts, the gateway will be your router, DNS will be your server. If you have down-level clients, 98 or 95 you will also need to set up WINS.
To set up DNS, open the DNS snap-in. Create a new forward-lookup. Follow the wizard to the end. (If you have questions during anything, post)After the zone is created, expand it and look for the entry called "." Just a period. That specifies you as a root. You're not, so delete it. Close the snap-in and reopen it. Right-click your servername and choose properties. Go to the forwarders tab, enable them and enter the DNS of your ISP.
That should be enough to get you started....

I'll get back with the Linksys details...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Hi Mike,

The "Windows 2000 server as a router??" thread might interest you.

Here is the link:

thread96-559368

kev

Thanks for all the help!

I'll disable the DHCP on the Linksys- that's no biggie. If the server ever has issues I can always start it back up.

I just setup the Server with AD and DNS. When I come across more issues I'll post them.

Yes, I said, "when." =)

I do have a slight problem, but I can't figure out the easiest way to solve it.

I bought a website name (let's call it that's not really the name), and I am using ZoneEdit.com to forward the site to one of my XP machines. I also have the Linksys router port-forwarding to my XP machine. So that is working fine so far.

Now when I setup DNS, it asked me for the name of my domain. I entered the domain that I bought (geekguy.com) and a messagebox popped up and said that it couldn't find a valid (or verified) domain that points to this server. Now I figured that was completely understandable, because technically the website is pointed to my Linksys router (which is redirecting to my XP machine).

Now as far as I know, for the DNS to work correctly I need to talk with my ISP and have them edit their entry so that the domain geekguy.com is sent to my IP address.

The problem is my ISP is residential, and I do not have enough money to pay for a commercial, Static IP. That's why I decided to use ZoneEdit to redirect. At any time I can login to ZoneEdit and put it my new IP (if I get a different one) and it will instantly change the direction of my website. I also can install a program that will check my IP every so often and let ZoneEdit know if my IP changed- that way I never need to worry about having a dynamic IP.

Is there a way for me to continue to use ZoneEdit and still have a DNS server on my win2k server? I know this may not even make sense, but I'm one of those people that knows just enough to be dangerous... and I'm confused on how this will all work. Should I just use a fake domain name instead of the one I'm using for the outside world to see? Does it matter that the DNS isn't valid?

Thanks again,
-Mike

You need a Domain Controller on your network to validate that domain name. On your server, run the command DCPROMO and take it from there. Then you can have a DNS entry internally that says your XP machine is your webserver, so the LAN will see it, and use that External DNS you spoke of for the world to see it...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Ok, now that's I've setup my server to have AD, and I also hard-coded my IP (192.168.1.111). I installed DNS and DHCP on the server. I then turned OFF DHCP on the Linksys. Now when I go to release/renew the IP on the XP machine I get that the DHCP server could not be contacted. I setup a range on the server of 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.110 w/ a subnet:26.

Now what am I doing wrong that I can't get my server to dish out the IPs to the other computer on the network? I'll tinker with it some tonight, and if I figure it out I'll let you know- otherwise I'm still stuck ;)

Thanks again,
Mike

Why did you make a subnet of 255.255.255.192? I would just stick with the basics, 255.255.255.0, you shouldn't have any need to subnet.
First, set a static IP on one of the machines, 192.168.1.110. See if you can ping the server. If not, there is a problem within your LAN with the machines not being able to see each other.
Now that I think of it, once you set up AD, you need to authorize the DHCP server, or it cannot hand out IPs. Open the DHCP snap-in, right-click your server, and choose Authorize. That should be the fix you need....

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Ok, I'll switch it to 255.255.255.0

I know the machines can see each other. I restarted the DHCP on the Linksys so the XP machines would get an IP, and I could login to the DOMAIN w/o a problem. I also transferred some files back and forth.

I can now remote into the server from work- so I 'Authorized' DHCP server. I'll turn off DHCP on the Linksys and see what happens.

Now as for the DNS- I'm a little confused on the forward and reverse lookups. Getting TO the server is not a problem, that was just a port-forwarding change. BUT, I've heard that some email servers reject mail from other mail servers that fail a reverse lookup. I think right now my mail server fails to do that- so how can I make sure that it is doing what it is supposed to? If you'd like me to do a few print screens (nslookups and such) let me know.

Thanks,
-Mike

PS: If you have an IM or something that may be easier on both of us ;) I have them all...

just a tip:

since you'll be using DHCP, make sure you setup reservations for your servers (based on the MAC address)

Breakerfall
®º°¨¨°º can you ping me now...GOOD! º°¨¨°º®

I'm only have one server- and I gave it an IP outside the range of IPs that it's handing out.

It's handing out 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.110
and the server's IP is: 192.168.1.111

You think that's ok? Or does the IP of the server have to be in the range of IPs within DHCP (and then reserved so that its static)?

Ok, the server is now handing out IPs to my computers, they're on the DOMAIN, DHCP and DNS are working, and everything is great- except for one thing: Anytime I try to use secure http it says the page cannot be displayed. Is there something extra I need to setup?

I'll do some searching, but I thought I'd post here first since I've got more help within this thread then I've got on ANY websearch. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back