Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTVDM error when trying to run DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladyiguana

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2001
US
One of our programs is DOS based. When I ran it on one of our NEW windows 2000 desktops, I receive an error 'The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction'. Please keep in mind that this program has run fine earlier on different machines with Win2K OS. I have installed SP2 but to no avail. Also, it is working fine on the laptops we received at the same time.

Try to Either restore the Config.nt or Autoexec.nt file, or remark (REM) any nonstandard lines in the existing files to determine which file is the source of the errors. Remove the offending line(s).

Also have you tried to continue through it? How about reinstall the Program? Check the services on the working systems against the nonworking ones to see what is different.

James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

hello ladyig, you might look at the following link.
Attempting to use the .EXE extension for a script file will result in the following error message: NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

So make sure the logon script has a filename extension of either "CMD" or "BAT." A script with any other extension will fail. The "EXE" extension is also supported, but only for genuine executable programs.

Best of Luck -md

Thanks for your replies. Butchrecon, I am in the process of comparing files. Maddogtech, this isn't part of the logon script, simply a shortcut to the executable on the server. Any other suggestions?? Thanks!

Is there any difference SERVICES wise between the working machines and non working (For the program)? James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back