Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ntvdm encountered a hard error

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannec

Programmer
Mar 22, 2004
BE
Hallo,

i have to install my application (Foxpro 2.6) on a Windows 2003 server.
The application is using SQL SERVER 2000 SP 3A.
When starting the application i got this error : ntvdm.exe system error - NTVDM encountered a hard error.

Please all, thanks

EC

Hi,

See if this thread931-1143834 helps.
After a bit of searching and comparing a working server to the one with the problem I worked it out. The problem server was missing the 'AUTOEXEC.NT' file from the system32 folder. I copied it from the other server and it now works...

Thanks, but that does not solv the problem. The problem is in the library : FPSQL.FLL. I got the error on this line : Set library to FPSQL.FLL ADDITIVE. FPSQL.FLL is part of the connectivity Kit. I know, old stuff. I am working now with VFP9 and .NET, but what about the old applications?
This application is over 10 years old, with more than 250 screens in it. Taylor made for this client. What can i Do?

Thanks

I have never worked with the Conectivity Kit, sorry.
Just be patient, maybe somebody has an answer for you.

Dave,

thanks for your help.

Code:
Are you saying this connectivity kit has worked on other server platforms prior to 2003
YES, on server 2000 it worked well.

Code:
Have you tried using different compatability modes?
What do you mean by this?

Thanks

On the 'Properties' dialog of the shortcut, select the 'Compatability' tab. Then check the 'Run this program in compatability mode for' and try different selections in the drop-down.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Just dropped in to see advice on similar issue.

Thanks for the tip in the right direction, Dave. I'm not using SQL but am using an old FoxPro ap.

On the 'Properties' dialog of the shortcut, the 'Compatability' tab didn't help but.....under the "Screen" / Usage ....checking "Window" instead of "Full-Screen" resolved the "NTVDM" error for me.

EC,
Look up the ForceDos command in your Windows Help. I had a problem with an insurance agencies software, developed in FoxPro for DOS, and trying to run it on WinXP. It required the ForceDos command to get it to run under WinXP. It sounds like a Windows problem to me.

The ForceDos command is the newer version of the old DOS SETVER command.

Man, am I showing my age by giving this advice!

But really, there are some problems with getting legacy DOS programs to run under the newer versions of Windows. There is a real learning curve here, which to me, would be time better spent by re-writing the entire app in a Visual FoxPro environment, no matter what version.

Regards,

Pat McGreevy

Sorry EC,

I forgot to tell you the explanation for the error.

'ntvdm' is an acronym for 'NT Virtual Dos Machine'. Windows creates a separate space in memory which runs the DOS kernel. But NT and Windows kernels are not compatible.

Windows ME and above started using the NT kernel, hence a possible incompatiblity with any DOS based code.

Remember when DOS 6.21(6.20 can't remember) came out, and everyone's coded backup routines failed? That was because Microsoft did away with the Backup command, and replaced it with an interactive version. Drove me nuts!

The current Windows Command Prompt(I operate under WinXp) does not support many DOS commands, since they do not exist anymore.

All you can do is rewrite the application so it will run under Windows.

Pat McGreevy

Pat,

thanks.
I am rewriting the application, but that takes time.
I reinstalled my server with Windows 2000, so the application is running. It is not the best solution, but it will give me the time to rewrite all those 2.6 programs.
After days of searching with no result, i had to do something.

I want to thank you all for your help.
See you on the VFP9 forum.

Again, thanks!!!

EC

Hey guys,

I have also seen this problem with an insurance broker program written in Visual Foxpro 2.6.

The odd part is that it doesn't seem to occur under Administrator, which makes me think it is either a rights issue of some type or some kind of setting or variable that is different between users.

Try running as Administrator, does this work?

The program ran fine for us under Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server but in 2003 it gives the occasional hard error.

If you get a hard error constantly, you may also want to make sure that you have an AUTOEXEC.NT and a CONFIG.NT. Sometimes older DOS and Windows programs will freak out if these files are missing(they are the equivalent of AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS). Make sure that CONFIG.NT has FILES=200 or higher in it.

You can use Event Viewer to monitor how often the error happens. Look in the Application logs for an Application Popup, Event 26. It still happens to us about 5 to 7 times a day for 50 terminal server users.

Hi,

My bad

You should look in the system log, not the application log.

Sorry about that chief...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back