Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTVDM CPU Illegal Instruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

malkie

Technical User
Feb 22, 2003
GB
I have recently installed XP Pro, now when I attempt to install various software via either of my CD Roms I am greeted with the error " NTVDM CPU illegal instruction, close or ignore. Choosing ignore does nothing, if I use " my computer " to get to the softwares setup icon I get the same error message, this does'nt happen with all software.Can anyone advise or help with this.

See if any of the suggestions here work for you.

NTVDM CPU illegal operation......
thread779-268648

Linney,
Thanx for your help. in a nutshell I got no where, so to cut a long story short I put in a new HDD, installed XP but no drivers for Sound or Graphics cards, put in an Encarta CD guess what !!! up came the very same error. Do you think this now points to to CPU ?

I'd only be guessing as to the cause but I'd suggest an Operating System/Software problem.

Was this an Upgrade over an earlier version of Windows?
Are you fully updated including SP1?

A couple of things to try.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If you suspect a hardware fault perhaps running this RAM diagnostic program may assist you.

Linney,
This was a brand new raw HDD I installed today,nothing on it at all, brand new out of the bag, I deliberately did'nt install any drivers so as I could rule them out, the old HDD did have 98 on it, it worked fine for sometime, I have tried both XP home & Pro with the same results.
I cant see how it can be software.This problem has occurred since changing the CPU, I have tried all combinations with the 3 Ram sticks I have installed, the error is evident every time, I cant see all 3 sticks being faulty. the XP Pro I am using is ok on another machine, so that rules that out too, any more suggestions please ?

Sorry no clues really.

What happens if you copy Setup programs from CD to Harddrive and then run the setup program from there?

What processor are you running, there are several updates for processors on the windows update site... ---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Linney,
If I copy the cds setup programme to the hard drive I get the same results.

Johnodq,
The processor is an Athlon T'bird 1200 200 fsb socket A, this processor is second hand.

An IBM friend suggests a Bios upgrade & if that fails change the CPU, he is convinced its hardware.

I will let you both know the outcome, thanks for you assisstance with this.

Guys,
Ive tried using MEMTEST86, I expanded the files & tried to send them to the floppy as instructed in the read me, I received the following error " 16 bit windows subsystem, c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction close or ignore, this appears twice with different source.
I attempted to flash the BIOS but when trying to boot to a floppy the PC hangs at the "verifying data pool"
I have run the XP systen file checker, all was OK.
Booting the PC normally takes ages, the boot sequence stays at the Verifying data pool part for about 30-40 seconds, strange thing the PC behaves normally except for running certain programmes.
I hope this further info is of use to you.
I have another CPU coming soon, I will see what happens when that is installed
I have cleared out & reset the CMOS, made no difference.
Heres hoping ! regards Mal.

Some more links for you to look at while you wait for your new CPU, which I hope fixes the problem for you.

287553 - Error Message "Verifying DMI Pool Data" Occurs and the Computer Is Unavailable

A more thorough article at
lists six specific
reasons for a DMI problem:
1. Corrupt boot files on the computer.
2. Settings for hard disk drive are not correct.
3. Boot devices not set properly.
4. BIOS corrupt or misc. setting not set properly.
5. Connections loose or disconnected.
6. Bad Hard disk drive or other bad hardware.

Lots more info here, too:

Error Message: No Valid FAT On Boot Drive(Q351212)

Linney,
Ive finally got to the bottom of this !! I replaced the CPU now everything is working fine, no NTVDM error message, all the software loads & runs fine.
Many thanks for your input into this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back