Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTP server Cisco router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2010
PE
hello,

Im trying to synchronize my router to a ntp server( we are using a windows as ntp)

When i put the commands

ntp server x.x.x.x

Only 1 router synchronize with the correct time, the other still have the same time from the hardware.
I force to update the calendar in the router but still the same problem.
What will be the problem about this?

Thx

For the routers that do not receive the correct time, what is the output of "show ntp status"? Do they have IP connectivity to the Windows NTP server? Is there NTP authentication in place? Please also include the entire NTP-related config of a router that works and a router that doesn't.

CCNP, CCDP

Oh, also, where are you checking the router's time? With a "show clock" or are you looking at log timestamps? If it's just the log timestamps, then you probably need to address the config of any "service timestamps" statements, as it can cause it to report in GMT depending on the setup.

CCNP, CCDP

If one works then it's unlikely to be the server config but please do post it anyway just in case - I agree it's likely to be connectivity to the ntp port on other Cisco routers.

Now Windows clients are another matter - if I remember correctly you need to do some tweaks with the command line w32tm command to add clients rather than the GUI console

Or log the activity...you can see if IPS or an ACL is preventing the router from grabbing the time from the NTP server. I myself syslog everything...

/

Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(25c), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: Copyright (c) 1523-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 11-Feb-1539 23:02 by ßµ®†Šß€€Š

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [ÝØÝØMØÑ], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Edge uptime is 469¼

If you would like to get away with troubleshooting, you can set up ntp peer with the router that is syncronizing with ntp server....it'll work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back