Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTP losing Sync on Cisco 2611

Status
Not open for further replies.

sisko

Technical User
Sep 21, 2001
GB
I am using a Cisco 2611 as an NTP master at stratum 2, and syncing other 2611's off this at stratum 3 running IOS V.12 and over. The connectivity between them is by a mixture of ATM and Frame Relay. The problem I have is that if I make any changes to the clock settings on the master, some of the other routers either lose sync and dont get it back, or keep sync but dont update their time.

I have seen this before. NTP process isn't a very robust on IOS. I couldn't tell you exactly what is wrong, but I can tell you the procedure I use to avoid NTP issues.
If I need to change the time, I stop the ntp server on the Cisco router, then I update the time. Make sure it is correct in the right timezone before you update the time. After I update the time, I turn on NTP again. Additionally, I use either a public NTP server OR a Stratum 2 GPS Time Sync Device that gets its clock from the Atomic Clock(Recommended) OR use a device that keeps its time after power cycling for the lowest stratum in the network. Hope this is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back