Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTP IP Addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpetilli

Technical User
May 17, 2011
US
I currently have clustered CM6.0.1 and in System Platform I have the NTP service running with 2 IP's entered. I need to update those with 2 new ones. Will adding 2 new IP's disrupt anything or should that change be done out of hours?

I'm also asking because I updated the NTP IP's on a CM in Asia (after hours) and wasn't able to log into ASA there for about a minute or 2, so I'm not sure if service was affected there or the system was just not processing those types of request.

Changing the ntp will require a re-start of system platform , you should get a big warning though telling you that is the case.

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

Interesting enough, I did this on my Lab System and there was no reboot. The NTP service was already running and I just added 2 new IP addresses into the field and then removed 2 stale ones. I had a continuous ping going and didn't lose any replies. I then did this on all my other systems, including hubs and didn't have the reboot issue.

If you use the DNS name instead of an IP address you shouldn't have to make changes to CM. It also allows you to have multiple NTP servers under one DNS name. Allowing them to add or delete NTP services as needed, without having to make changes in CM.

I've done it twice. Unfortunately you need to plan for a brief outage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back