Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTP configuration on Release 6.0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkaufman

Vendor
Jan 16, 2007
US
Has anyone had any success with configuring NTP on a CS1000M SG to sync with a single external NTP server? I've been going round and round in circles and it doesn't ever update the call server time even though the base manager and element manager time is correct. This was a lot more straight forward in Rel. 5.5. Any ideas or experiences you could share would be appreciated.

Not sure if this will help, but we ran into the same problem, and found that if point the IP address to our own ntp server on our network, we have no problem. Once we set the IP to a time server on the web, the ntp feature stop working.

Not sure if this would apply,

CHG NTP MODE CS (call server -->router-->NTP server)
CHG NTP MODE SS (call server -->Sig server-->NTP server)

This is how we've done it:

1) Go to base manager, configure base manager to go to an external source(s).
2) Go to Element Manager, and set the CS to sync to the SS IP address(es). They should both already be in there with the marking * that they cannot be removed.
3) If you're lucky, below that, your external IP source(s) you put in from Base Manager will be in the list - if not, add them there too. Save your changes.

Do LD 117 STAT NTP - it should be configured properly; if you can print that out for us.

To force a sync right then and there, do SYNC NTP MANUAL (which will leave it in background mode but do one on the spot), and see if it works.

So basically CS goes to SS, SS software clocks off Linux base, and Linux base clocks off your real NTP servers.

The Linux NTP daemon runs about every 13 minutes to your NTP server(s), and the CS will sync to the SS every 24 hrs (midnights I believe).

Good luck, post pics and your CLI output if you need help; we've gone round on this with several customers.

-Matthew

Matthew - Technical Support Engineer

+1 Nortel4Matt

This is how I have my 6.0 sites setup, and they work perfectly. No more complaints of the phone time being different than the pc time.

Sorry folks, I've been away at training for a few weeks and haven't had time to get back to this particular problem until today. I appreciate all the suggestions and have tried everything and have come back with this CLI capture and a couple of screen caps. I'm concerned about the health not being good and my config in CLI not matching my config in EM.

=> stat ntp
CURRENT NTP CONFIGURATION
NTP Status: ENABLED
Primary IP address: 137.135.128.250
Secondary IP address: 137.135.128.253
UTC Offset: -05:00
Last Updated: 00:00:00 on 0-0-0
Delta: 00
Threshold: NORMAL
Security Mode for Primary: INSECURE
Security Mode for Secondary: INSECURE
Synchronization Status: ACTIVE
Mode of Synchronization: BACKGROUND

COUNTERS
Packets Sent: 54
Packets Received: 18
LAST NTP CONFIGURATION
NTP Status: ENABLED
Primary IP address: 137.135.128.250
Secondary IP address: 137.135.128.253
UTC Offset: -05:00
Delta: 00
Threshold: NORMAL
Security Mode for Primary: SECURE
Security Mode for Secondary: SECURE
Syncing Mode: ACTIVE

LAST SYNCHRONIZATION ERROR
Date and Time: 11:30:11 on 2-11-2010
Type of Error: ERR0121

=> sync ntp manual
Trying 137.135.128.250......Please do not abort from overlay till sync operation is executed
NTP is not running in secured mode
" ERR0064": Primary NTP Server is not in good health. IP Address: 137.135.128.250
Sending Request to Secondary NTP Server.
Trying 137.135.128.253......
NTP is not running in secured mode
" ERR0121": Packet from Secondary NTP server discarded.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zb1cvf0lzy9r6r7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back