Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt (Windows 2000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CondorMan

Technical User
Jan 23, 2005
GB
Hi everyone

A colleague (no, not me!!) has Windows 2000 and he has had this error message when he tried to boot his laptop. We managed to get into DOS and found a couple of copies of the file which we copied to a new temporary directory (following renaming the files to prevent conflict) and then we overwrote each original file with the other, in sequence, and tried to reboot. No luck.

I suspect that the boot.ini may be corrupt but don't know what should be in it. So far as I'm aware, there are no partitions on the hard drive. He doesn't have a Windows 2000 installation disc as the laptop came with Windows 2000 pre-installed. The disc which came with it will, we assume, reformat the hard drive, reinstall Windows 2000, overwrite his data and take the laptop back to "factory status". Any ideas how we could find out what should be in the boot.ini? We don't have another computer which is running Windows 2000 from which we might copy the file so we're stuck.

I know there have been other threads about this and one poster gave details of what is in the XP Pro boot.ini. My own system is that, so I can confirm what was written is in my own boot.ini. I've not been able to find explicit information about what should be in the Windows 2000 boot.ini.

Thanks for your time and patience.

This is what is in my boot.ini file for my win 2000
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Many thanks. We'll have a go to rewrite or edit boot.ini using "Edit" via DOS. We have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back