Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerasi

Programmer
Jun 19, 2000
CA
Hi,
I was doing some maintenance to the server yesterday. I run defrag on both drives and then run a scandisk and rebooted the server (for scandisk to run).
The server never came back online. I rebooted again (using the reset button) and got the following error:
"windows could not start because the follwoing file is missing or corrupt

Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please reinstall the above file".

How do I fix this? I can't get back into windows.

Let me put it this way:
While StressLevel Is High
Productivity -= 1
Marriage = Nothing
End While

There is no floppy in the drive and there is no CD in the CD Rom.
Once the computer restarted (after doing the scandisk). It hang on a screen saying rebuilding indices for ActiveDirectory and that I need to restart in active directory restore mode. That screen presisted through the night (I went to sleep thinking the scandisk takes a while, so I didn't wait). I got back to the server this morning, that's when I pressed the power button and got the "ntoskrnl.exe" error.
Thanks for your time on this.

Let me put it this way:
While StressLevel Is High
Productivity -= 1
Marriage = Nothing
End While

Scan disk is never a good thing to do on a server! I did it once on our Exchange, and it mistook a key file for a fragment, and killed the Exchange. Luckily I was with someone who knew what the problem was, or we would have been stuffed!

Anyway, to the point, you may be faced with a repair install. Or even a dodgy hard-drive. I would suggest running a server diagnostic (If it is Dell, the disk that came with it).

Will

Can you boot from the windows cd and run a repair this might repair corrupt files.

I had this exact error when we rebuilt a server and altered the partitions, when i restored the system partition from tape the boot.ini file was pointing to the wrong partition. It could be this file that's damaged.

Pinkpanther:
I too have repaired an installation after such a failure, only to find a week later, the probelm happening again, only more severe... because the HDD was beginning to die.

I think in any situation, it's best to start at the highest level, and work your way down (or lowest, and up).
That said, you have good advice, and including it I suggest the following (each step if the one before fails):

1. Check HDD.
2. Try Windows Repair Console.
3. Use a partition Tool to automatically find and sort out the broken partition (The best for me is BootITNG - works every time, and it does other tricks like resizing hdd partitions, and such free to download and use, but a cheap $39 if you plan to keep it beyond 30 days)
4. Try Repair installation, as PP linked above.

Good luck! :)

Will
[morning]

WillShakespeare i know exactly where you're coming from the reason we restored that server from tape in the end was that 2 out of 3 disks on our RAID5 setup went offline at the same time but only for a split second (it only registered that one had gone off in the evt log). It generated all sorts of errors that a repair fixed temporarily but in the end only rebuilding the RAID container sorted it.

Good luck jerasi.

Exactly! :)

In this case, I suspect 2 things:

[ol]
[li]The Scan disk automatically trashed one of the boot files, in which case a repair may work.[/li]
[li]The HDD became (or was discovered to be, by the scan disk operation) corrupt, because either:

[ul]
[li]jerasi powered off at the wrong time (like you originally suggested PP), or[/li]
[li]the scan disk discovered a few physical block errors, and then hung trying to compensate, and the boot files got trashed.[/li]
[/ul]
[/li]
[/ol]

Will
[morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back