Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTLM Authentication and POP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesF

Technical User
Jan 9, 2004
US
A company exec has purchased a new cell phone that has an app called VersaMail. Until we get an SSL Cert set up on our server that allows us to use Exchange 2003 ActiveSync I am trying to use pop3. It works fine if we use basic authentication, but if I try to use NTLM (Simple Authentication and Security Layer) it will not take his username for getting inbound mail. Outbound works fine because it uses smtp. However, if I use outlook express on a laptop via pop3 it works ok both ways, it prompts for user, password, and domain name though. Anyone know how I can send the domain along with the username? I've tried the following:

domain\user
user.domain.local
user@domain.local
user@domain

Thanks!

Already tried that without luck.

I guess I'm not following you. I tried domain\user without any luck.

are you stating your attempting to use a cell phone mail application and send the domain, logon and password via NTLM? Does the cell phone even support NTLM?

Yes, that is what I am trying to do. Not sure if it supports it or not. Tech support for the phone/mail program doesn't even know what NTLM is. They keep telling me that, "yes, it supports SSL," which I already know. I'm guessing it doesn't, but can't confirm.

NTLM is an authentication type for the pop3 virtual server in Exchange 2003.

no ntlm authentication happens between the exchange server and your dc not between you pop3 client and exchange server unless your login in to the domain first which I don't think you would do from a phone

gunthnp from

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back