Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTLDR Missing? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcitt

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
US
Hi,
Please anyone help me. I have a problem with hardrive. I reformat my hardrive from another com. when I puted it back to my old com. and it said NTLDR Missing ( Ctrl Alt Delete to restart) I did that it still come up with the same thing. I try to reinstall the OS on it by using different PC to install to it. What do I have to do to get rip off of this message and get into Window? I have a Window XP Pro. installed into it. Thank you in advance.

KC

Boot the computer with a Windows 95 or Windows 98 Startup disk or another bootable disk with sys.com on it.
At the A:\> prompt type:
sys c: <press enter>
Press enter you should receive the prompt &quot;System Transferred&quot;.
Reboot and best of luck
Please post if it works Zero Mistakes = Zero Experience
And Boy do I have experience !

Use the XP disk and do a repair/reinstall. XP is picky when it comes to chipsets. If you installed it on one pc and then moved it to another it will have the problem you are describing. You can copy the NTLDR from a floppy, but it won't do any good, I guarantee it. I had this problem a few weeks ago and was doing the exact same thing you did. I followed every post I found on Google(there are a lot of repairs for this) and none worked. The repair function will reinstall all necessary files needed.

Thank you for all infromation. So if I buy a new hardrive to it in. Will it ask for load the OS or what should I do to fix this thing?

KC

kcitt.

If you buy a new hard drive, you'll need to install a fresh copy of XP (and phone M$ to get activation code if same disk/key you used for original). Nadiazipper's post is good - will probably work, and get your existing installation back up and running (you'll probably need to reactivate XP, as you've moved drive from one machine to another).

Restart your PC with the XP in the cd drive. After it starts choose to install XP. After accepting the liabilities you will have a choice to Repair the selected XP install or continue installing a fresh copy. CHOOSE the repair. It may take an hour or so, but it should fix your problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back