Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTLDR error - too many files root directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBaileys

Technical User
Jun 23, 2003
US

Installing our software - caused several temp files to be dumped into the root of the hard drive. This then causes an NTLDR error as there are too many files.

What is the best way to be able to access the local drive to delete the files. I have used bootdisk which does not give me access.

The recovery console should work in this circumstance, but the recovery console is VERY limited in ability. I would suggest you download the "Ultimate Boot CD for Windows" from - that will give you MUCH greater flexibility and a graphical environment.

Using the win 2000 setup disks twice - the machine hung when going into recovery mode.

Pulled the files off with a USB ide hardware converter, then fdisked.

#^$#@$

-JB

Ultimate Boot CD for Windows not working for you? Only takes 30 minutes to setup and build... less once you're familiar with it.

Did not try the ultimate boot CD.

It sucks to think that I would have to individually delete files with the recovery console. 65000 + files !?!

Thanks,

jb

Thats why I suggested the other tools; The recovery console is limited.

Do you use WordPad for all your word processing? Or do you go get a better tool? Most people get a better tool - that's what the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows is - a better tool. Try it.

This was a problem with a set up program that failed. No one took the software seriously. I am so happy I no longer work there. The grass is definitely greener on the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back