Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTKRNLMP.exe Corrupt or Missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

xjlkx

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2002
US
In the disaster recovery option, I've booted from CD and when I insert the Machine specific disk and it starts the windows 2000 setup, I get the message:

The Entry "ntkrnlmp.exe" in the [SourceDisksFiles] section of the INF file is corrupt or missing.
Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

Please help with a solution...this software is killing me...Also, does anyone know of a Computer Associates knowledge base that actually has detailed documents? From what I've been able to find, their documentation is very poor. Thanks in advance.

Update -

Apparently, when I create image from the CD BOOT.ISO file, it is chopping off the last letter of every file extension, which would make them unrecognizable, ie

ntkrnlmp.ex_

all the files on the boot cd look like this...and I am officially lost.

Hi,

some questions left from your description of the problem:

- Service Pack Level of the W2K installation you are trying to recover?

- are you running BrightStor ARCserve Backup 9 or ARCserve 2000 (if AS2000 which build no. on base product and DR-Option?

- is the server uniprocessor or multiprocessor (there is a history with HP LH-Pro systems and "ntkrnlmp.exe")?

- are you using an OS-CDROM with the service pack already included?

- local or remote DR? (if remote, build no. of client agent)

If you're able to provide the information it should be possible to pinpoint the problem that bothers you. Depending on the information maybe i can try for a repro here.

Cheers
saop

OK -

I am backing up a remote maching from the ARCServe Server using ARCServe 2000 v7.0 build 1086 and the client agent. The machine I am attempting to recover is win2k Service Pack 3, uniprocessor - just a workstation, and I am using DR locally with a boot cd and a machine specific disk

I think the problem is with the ISO file...because when I burn it as an image (using Roxio Easy CD Platinum v5.0), I get what I said in my last post...its chopping the last letter in the file extensions, which certainly renders them unrecognizable in Windows.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated....CA certainly isn't providing any.

Shouldn't dos recognize that underscored extension as a compressed file?

Hi,

first of all:apply Service Pack 4 AND the Disaster Recovery Service Pack 4 onto your ARCserve machine. I strongly recommend re-booting your machine afterwards!!!
When the system is up again, enter the job status and double-click on "Server Properties": the ARCserve Base Product should have Build 1100; Build 650 respectively for the DR-Option.

Apply the ARCserve SP 4 onto your remote machine where the client agent is running. Build version afterwards must be 1050. (Following is not specific for your problem, but avoids trouble when taking steps forward later in the process: configure your client agent to use "Hostname Resolution" (IP-Address is not supported for remote DR - and you are obviously performing remote DR as you are not going to recover your ARCserve machine!!!)

Perform a NEW full backup of your remote workstation.

Create a new computer specific disk!

All information above applies to ARCserve 2000 English only!

And - for heaven's sake - use other burning software!;). I recommend CDR-Win (any 4.x/5.x-version will do)

Finally, CA does not support the recovery of machines where W2K with integrated service pack 3 is installed. But there are severe doubts that they even can recover a machine where W2k SP3 has been applied to at all:(

But, anyway, i will try to reproduce the problem; should be completed by Nov 28. Will post a follow-up then.

Cheers
saop

A clarification on Windows 2000 SP 3.

It is not supported if integrated into the installation media at this point. If a server/workstation was installed and then had sp3 applied to it, there will be no problem with Disaster Recovery.

I have only tested Windows 2000 professional CDs that did not have a SP integrated. Server/Advanced Server CDs with SP1 and SP2 integration can also be used when creating the bootable CD image.

SP4 for ARCserve 2000 and Disaster Recovery need to be applied for all SP integrated CD's. No SP integrated CDs were available at the time ARCserve 2000 was created/released. As new SPs are released and integrated into installation media, the DR option needs to be enhanced to handle the new media.

Well, since I applied SP4, there have been two new developments.

1. when attempting to modify a job, arcserve crashes

2. disaster recovery "failed to copy c:\program files\ComputerAssociates\arcserve\sif50p.sp2

I really could use some help here folks....even if its specualtion, because CA is offering SQUAT.

Thanks in advance

I did not read the entire thread here again. I believe you are using a Windows 2000 professional CD with a Service pack of windows integrated into it (i.e. if you install Windows from the CD you are at sp1 or 2). I believe there may be problems with this CD. As a work around, see if you have a Windows server CD or a professional CD without the SP integration to create the iso image from. I am seeing the same error when trying to create the image from a Windows 2000 Professional CD with SP2 integrated.

As for ARCserve crashing, you would need to foward them the dr. watson log file. This will reference the crash and explain that it is occuring when modifying a job. Unfortunately, CA is the only one that can change their code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back