Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTFS Permissions Help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nervous2

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2003
CA
I've exhausted my options, here hoping to have some new insight.

Domain A

about 30 users

shared folder with full control access to folders and sub folders, This initial share allows domain users for full control.

about 4 levels/directories into the initial shared (FolderA) we have a folder (FolderA) which I want everyone to be able to read / print but only 2 users for full control / make changes

How can I setup the permissions?

This is what I have tried and so far been unsuccessful

I individually added the 2 users and gave them full access. I then created a group with the remainder accounts and set them as (deny) for write. Since these users are also in the "authenticated" user list this seems to conflict, the only way I can delete the other built in groups is to unchecked "allow inheritable permissions from parent to propagate to this object" I then can erase the built in groups, have the 2 users have full access to what they want BUT the remainder group I created with the deny account are denied access to even view the directory. How should this be setup?

Thank You

Hi there!

I take it that when you set the group to deny, you also set the rest of the read permissions? Otherwise they will not have permissions to read the directory in the first place.

S

yes I had also setup the read permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back