Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTFS Permissions > Locking down a folder. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

boston33

MIS
Jan 9, 2005
US
Hello,

We have a folder, on a windows 2003 server. This is a domain. It is here: D:\Dev. I only want 3 users, to have full control of this folder. I don't want anybody else to access it. Note: The D: drive is shared out, to all Domain Users & the everyone group.

I went into " Advanced Security Settings. " I unchecked "Allow Inheritable Permissions from the parent to propagate to this object and child objects." I gave the administrator and the 3 users full control, in this Adv. Sec. Window.

After I apply the changes, the 3 users can't get to the files, in the subfolders. For example, they don't have permission to open D:\Dev\Test\test.doc.

When you get a chance, can I get your advice? Thanks.

Where you unchecked "Allow.....", did you check "Apply settings, if applicable, to subfolders and files" ?

When you want to backup these folders, dont forget to add the account under wich the backup process is running, otherwise nothing will be backed up.

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

Also make sure those 3 users don't have "Full Control" permission as that would allow them to change security permissions if they knew how.

When you want to backup these folders, dont forget to add the account under wich the backup process is running, otherwise nothing will be backed up.
In addition to Lemon13's suggestion above, don't forget to add the account that your anti-virus solution runs under. In my case, it's SYSTEM.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Thanks for the assistance.

I went back and checked, "Apply settings, if applicable, to subfolders and files."

This seemed to be the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back