Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTFS Part deleted and replaced with new not formatted 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

prozzee

Technical User
Oct 5, 2000
GB
I have deleted my NTFS partition and replaced it using FDISk with a new one but have not formatted.

Can I recover back to the original partition.

Many Thanks

Nigel Davies [sig][/sig]

I had a hd with 2 partition. Windows was on C: and private files on D:. I only wanted to format C: to be able to reinstall Windows XP, because it didn't work well.I accidently formated C: (which had windows XP) with Windows98. After formating, my hd didn't work at all. I got another hd and installed windows xp on it. Windows XP couldn't read the old hd.Then I decided to fdisk, format the new hd and install Win98 on it. Win98 found DIR0001 and DIR0002 in the old hd . There are a lot of FILE00001.chk files, each of them is 16kb and just 2-3 of them 32kb. When I look into the properties of the hd, it says there are 14 gigs existing. Is it possible to get my files back?

I am working on windows 98 and have simply deleted image files.They were to big for the recycle bin so were deleted through a command prompt is there a way I am able to retrieve these files

I had 3 partitions and win98 installed on my pc with fat32 for all partitions as my table, we installed win2000 on it and selected to delete 2 of the existing P's and create one big one instead. Then we selected ntfs as our new fat table.... not thinking, we lost the data on 2 of the P's! Is it possible to recover the lost data...although it has been formatted, P's changed from fat32 to ntfs, and a new op installed on it?!

I recently installed ontrack Easyrecovery, which is working on an XP OS, and the program should be able to recover completely deleted files, unless the're overwritten by other files.
It works with ntfs too. It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Murphy's Laws

You can always recover lost data from formating, even if you write over it. The only way to truly delete the information is to heavily magnetize the drive to delete all the layers. Otherwise the data can be retrieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back