Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTFS Part deleted and replaced with new not formatted 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

prozzee

Technical User
Oct 5, 2000
GB
I have deleted my NTFS partition and replaced it using FDISk with a new one but have not formatted.

Can I recover back to the original partition.

Many Thanks

Nigel Davies [sig][/sig]

Only if you are certain of the original contents of the partition table. I have watched a tech delete a partition, reboot and recreate the partition using the original specs. The system behaved as if nothing had happened.

Fdisk only deals with a handful of bytes in the disk boot sector. As long as you haven't made any other changes to the disk you should be able to restore it to its original condition.
[sig]<a href=mailto:CraigL@bc-corp.com>CraigL@bc-corp.com</a><br>[/sig]

Thank you for the reply. I have experienced the sequence of events that you mention on a FAT partition and find it is a valuable tip for most users to know.

I have since sorted the problem out using a handy utility called &quot;testdisk&quot; found at
[sig][/sig]

Hi,

I have 2 HDD one is a) is 20 GB HDD b) is 3.2 GB. both are of SEAGATE. a) drive is Primary master and B) is primary slave. Drive a) contain windows 2000 professional OS. I made three partition on drive a) all were NTFS.

Problem:
Know what i did accidentaly i install LINUX 7.0 when both drives were on original condition and when i realise that i did comething wrong i reebot my system while linux was installing on default mode.
After reebooting i have checked partition they were completely damaged and windows find partition but unrecognised partetion info appears.

Is it possible to recover data from a) drive or at-least 2 partition which were of 8.16GB each.

I will be greate full to u if u kindly solve this problem

Regards
Javed Khan

Try this one:
It's an utility from powerquest that will try to recover all your data on your HD regardless of the Allocation Tables (or whatever).
Possibly, you will get hundreds of dirs called dir00001, etc.
But at least you can do a search for critical files.

I have a reallt big problem:
I have installed a new HDD on my PC, so i must to format it, i get wrong and i have formated the first hdd, i don't know if exists a solution to recover all my data in the formatted hdd. Thanks.

Yesterday I accidentaly deleted the partition on my 40GB NTFS ide Hd with FDISK, just the one that I use to keep a copy of all my personal files, colected since I first used a PC. I didnt do anything more, not creating a new partition, and of course not formating it.
My pal here at work tells me that it's imposible to recover the data because my hdd is now just a complete mess of data without an index. I still have faith that it can be recovered anyhow but don't know the way. Any help, would be greatly apreciated.

As mentioned before, there exists a solution with a great probability that you can recover all your data because of handling that way (turning of de pc and doing nothing until recovery).
Try this program Lost& Found. You'll need a HD with about 1,25 times the size of the data to be recovered.
There exists also something like Ontrack EasyRecovery but i have no knowledge of that program.

What the program does:
It searches for all data on your HD, regardless of any Fat, Ntfs or any other File Location System.
That's why the program will give also the ability to recover data that was deleted way before, but still not overwritten by other data. It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Murphy's Laws

I was just searching for that program (Lost&Found) on the Internet, and I was wondering if; as I have windows XP, would it work? because it's designed for windows 95/98.
I'll have a look at that &quot;ontrack&quot; thing, thanks!

Yes, it is compatible with all PC OS's. It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Murphy's Laws

I believe you can use another partition too, but if you have to create one, you might lose data.
I think it would be safer to use another HD. It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Murphy's Laws

I'm using Win2000 Professional edition with 2 HDD each of 20 GB

I have 2 partition on each drive , all are NTFS

I have alkl my data backed up on one partition and it is almost full
Once i changed the drive letter i cannot access that partition now
it says this drive is not formatted
the other partition on the same drive works fine even if i change the drive letter

How can i recover the data on that partition

please help me

Please read the information above. You'll find a link to Lost&Found. It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Murphy's Laws

I've used Ontrack's EasyRecovery Profesional, and recover most of my data but not AVI's or MP3's.
Do you know why?
Is there any way to recover 'em?

Strange...
Is it a program you have to use in DOS only ?
(Not that that in any way can explain why mp3 and avi are not recovered)

Does it generate a list of recoverable files ? Are there any mp3 or avi listed ?
Where these files maybe on one fysical location at the disk(mostly after a defragmentation, they are if they were in the same folder) It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Murphy's Laws

Well, my guess here is that there are some file tipes that it can recover and some that it can't.
It runs fully in windows. After 3 hours, for a 40GB HD a pretty good time I think, it recovers about 20 or so file tipes, including .jpg's .gif's .exe' s .zip's etc... but not AVI's or MP3's, only .wav's. Maybe between the wav's there are some that are MP3 but I don't think so.
It arranges all files of the same type in a single directory for each one, so you have a lot of files of the same type with name's so descriptive as &quot;file001.jpg&quot;, making the process of identifing them really painfull.
Anyway, my buddies here at work, told me that it was imposible to recover anything from a HD without it's original partition or and image, so I think it was a really good program in spite of those facts, but helpfull only if you want to only recover some important files, not everything lost, unless you want to expend week's in a tedious work.
Anyway thanks a lot for your help!, and I'm going to buy some good image program right away, which one is best for XP?

Ok, here's a good one for you. Being the dope that I normally am, I have a 60 GB WD drive that I had a 2 gig partition and the rest of the drive as the other partition. Both were formatted in ntfs 5.1 under Windows XP and upgraded to a dynamic disk. I no longer needed the 2 gig partition so i decided to delete the partition (which was at the begining of the drive) and extend the larger partition to the drive's full capacity. No problem, until i right clicked what looked like the smaller partition and told it to delete after extending, resulting in deleting the entire drive. I have tried EasyRecovery Pro without any luck. Does any one have any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back