Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTFS OR FAT32

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronone

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
Which is better to run on windows xp ntfs or fat32 ?

Depends on the size of your harddrive? According to Microsoft 20gb or less use FAT32. Over 20gb use NTFS. Personally I use NTFS because of the extra security designed into NTFS format.

There's an ongoing debate on this issue, which you should find many hits on if you run a search on this site.

Throwing my 2¢ in, my understanding is that both NTFS and FAT32 are quite equal in terms of speed. FAT32 has a slight advantage on smaller partitions in some benchmarks, while NTFS pulls ahead on larger partitions. The difference is so minute, that I wouldn't base your decision on speed alone.

If you don't plan on having a multi-boot system with a Win9x/ME system, I would just go with NTFS. You'll get the added bonus of additional security if you plan on using it, also advanced file allocation that NTFS provides over FAT32.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Hi all!
Thanks for the posts.
I have to mention 3 things:
1) chkdsk /r dows not work - Unrecoverable error message.
2) I installed OnTrack Syste Suite 4.0 - this is how my problem started. The series of tests form OnTrack damaged my files. I found out some of .bmp I created have been smudged with graphic patterns ONtrack userd to test my video CARD. After I DL Onrack's update file, it failed to restart properly. I rebooted and got Unmountable_Boot_Volume. there is no doubt in my mind that ONTrack F'd up my boot record. Can you please mention the version of OnTrack you used?
I bet if I used NTFS, my system would be secure with 2 copies of boot recod (at the beginning and the end, or so M$FT says!)
3) I tried PCINSPECTOR.de, and it did not find half the files I had. THere must be a better way!

Thanks again

Times44

Have you tried it in another box? I have actually found it much harder to recover files from NTFS drives because the files that need to be recovered are usually in the mydocuments directory or a similar one which is locked out due to file permissions. Before you do too much more if the data is that important I would clone the drive and then try to fix the clone. If on-track has caused problems and then you run another util which causes other problems you may be stuck. Have you got a copy of ghost? If so do a disk-disk copy, I am pretty sure that as long as it can see the drive (does not have to boot from it) you should be able to clone it.

FNDH, you are right about My Documents - these are usually the files you want first. My dead drive was FAT, I wanted to swithch to NTFS for a new installation. How can you change file permissions settings in NTFS to simplify recovery, should the need arise?

According to Microsoft NTFS is the better filesystem simply because it offers more security. Take note of the first post and limitations you need to consider regarding hard drive space!

Regards Tam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back