Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTFS or FAT32? Comments please 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulga

Technical User
Aug 14, 2001
AU
I have been running an XP RC version on a test machine for some months. I have used both FAT32 & NTFS and can see little difference. Maybe NTFS is fractionally slower. I am about to install a retail version of XP Pro on my main system and would appreciate anybodies comments on which file system to use. Security is not a big priority, I am looking at hardware / software compatibility, system stability and performance.

cant believe no one has mentioned in this post , that with FAT32 your restricted in your files sizes, of the top of my head i cant remember if its 2gb or 4gb as a maximum file size , which is one of the major advantages of NTFS.

Why would anyone have a file bigger than 4Gb well if your into video for a start 4 and a half minutes of footage takes up roughly 1 gb of space!

Ah -:), Wolluf I know NTFS can't read fat or fat32. what I wanted to know was could one dual boot with say WIN ME on the first partition and XP-pro on the second with NTFS as the file system and would I be able to boot into both Op-systems?

I am not bothered if I am in ME and can't see XP-pro as long as I can choose to boot into either OS and have Xp-pro on the 2nd partition as NTFS while having ME as Fat32 on the Ist partition, but I think you have already answered this. I have Win ME on C:\ and Xp=pro on E:\, the D:\ was W2k but failed to install. So, I should be able to convert Xp-pro to NTFS and still access ME? This is what I want to know lol!

It's strange as I am now an MCP in W2k but the course doesn't explain this anomaly in dual booting with Fat32 on one partition and NTFS on another partition and that both can be accessed!

Oh Wolluf, As you can see W2k didn't work on my comp so I installed Xp-pro, it wouldn't even install in a new partiton, Microsoft are now saying in their site that one can't upgrade from ME to W2k and I tried a clean install with a full w2k disc! It appears that ME and W2k are incompatible as Xp-pro installed no problem!

cheers Wolluf and all!

I discovered NTFSDOS the other day, i cannot rem, who pointed me to it, FANTASTIC,, what a great program, how funny it is that when i asked the guys at PC world they quacked in the suggestion of being able to access an NTFS fie system from DOS! I use a FAT32 fs, just because of the DOS access, but now i cannot really see the point. Please let us know what you think of posts, feedback is always appreciated as this will help to further our knowledge as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
All that's required for evil to suceed is for good men to do nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back