Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTFS or FAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

pohlsch

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2002
US
I am repurposing a Novell 4.11 Server to NT 4.0 Server. I have done the install for NT and every now and then I am getting the autochk utility run on the c: partition when the server boots up. the c: partition is FAT and the d: partition is NTFS. should I change the c: partition to NTFS as well?

If this is a server I would definitely recommend NTFS. But as with anything make sure you have a good backup before converting it to NTFS.

If you are going to use convert.exe to go from FAT to NTFS, remember when converting a file system from fat to NTFS, you should really go through and check the permissions that have been set. Take a look at

A converted NTFS drive consists of all files and directories with Everyone- Full Control as the default permission. Obvioulsy this would not be good.

What service pack are you running?? If not 6a then try upgarding to that.

NTFS gives more free disk space than FAT. We sometimes use this on older PC's with 2GB primary partitions that are running low on disk space. There are also utilities that allow a boot disk to look at NTFS.

Also remember you wont be able to boot up to dos

if I can't boot to DOS with NTFS, then will the repair disk do me no good?

An NT repair disk will still work and actually Winternals makes a product (NTFSDOS Pro) that will allow to boot to DOS and access and NTFS Partition.

this may sound dumb, but why would I need to boot to DOS?

welll sometimes if NT really screws up and not let you in, you can boot up blow NT away and reinstall without the hassell of NT finding acopy on your system.

sometimes if NT screws up you maybe able to copy a few files to floppies to save before you FDISK and start all over..

sometimes when u can boot to a floppy can tellif they drive is screw (cant see any thing), or just NT (all your filesare still there). Then determine what u need to do next.

Look at Win Internals for ERD Commander, this will allow you to boot and look at the C drive etc, the latest version boots up an XP GUI. Great product for when NT\2000 goes wrongs.

If NT does go pear shape just put the drive as a secondary in another nt box. You can then get the data off before a rebuild. Just remember the drive letters get shuffled. I usually label the host drives to save confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back