Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTFS file system recovery, not recognized in windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleffman

Technical User
Feb 4, 2003
US
Hey guys...another new problem to tackle.

I'm going to help my roommate recover some data tonight, here are the symptoms. It's an NTFS file system with maybe 70 gigs of data. It's not a boot drive, no OS installed, pictures, documents, mp3s etc. The BIOS recognizes the drive, correct size, number of heads etc. but windows XP does not. My plan is to use BartPE to create a bootable CDRom with the GetDataBack plugin, and hopefully use that to read the data, and copy or image it to another hard drive.

My question is, is this a good plan? And does anyone have any experience with those tools, or better ideas or tools?

Thanks!

Justin

You never stated what happened to the drive and what has been attempted to recover the data already.

Also, without digging, I assume that 'GetDataBack' is some particular recovery software. If so, what's the point of BartPE disc in this scenario? Maybe there is something that I don't understand about without researching GetDataBack, but if you have a working OS on the boot drive, why not try to use recovery tools from there?

Steve

windows xp does not recognize the drive." is what is wrong with it. I don't know what actually happened to it.

Nothing has been done so far to fix it, which is why I ask what to do.

BartPE is used with the getdataback plugin to retrieve files from an NTFS file system.

Anyway, nevermind, we got the old system to recognize the drive and backed up the data. any other computer won't recognize it though. Odd.

I assume you attempted to mount the drive?

yes, I did attempt to mount it. Anyway this thread is going nowhere, but just to bring it to a close here's what happened:

The drive was only recognizeable in an old computer. It was originally formatted under Windows 2000 as a dynamic drive structure rather than partitions. Somehow, even though XP works fine with dynamic drives, it wouldn't recognize the drive no matter what we did. Ended up backing up over a local network to the new computer, formatting the drive NTFS, and now it's just fine again as a storage drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back