Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTFS back to FAT32 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwunder

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
GB
If i have converted my HD to NTFS, what's the precedure to revert back to FAT32. All my stuff is backed up and don't mind formatting etc.

Thanks for any advice
kwunder

As far as I know you can't revert back to fat32, after going with NTFS. however, if you have partiton magic, according to this article you can do it?

but according to microsoft you can't tread carefully! You would have to reformat the partition or drive and lose the data unless you back it up first or PM can do it, but I would imagine you'd lose all your data. converting to NTFS from fat32 is a one way process.

Thanks Linney, a bit over my head but I'll try and study that info.
Pechenegs, Yes, I see MS say it's a no no. I may have a go at the Partition Magic suggestion. I thought it was just a matter of partitioning and re formatting. Maybe not ......

Cheers
kwunder

If you are happy to reinstall windows xp then the procedure is easy. During the XP setup you will be asked which HD/PArtition you wish to install onto. During this stage you can also remove and create partitions. Assuming that you only have one partition on the main drive that XP will be installed on! Remove the partition, create a new one and then format using the file system you require. All instructions on on screen.

I had to do this last week, my HD was NTFS I removed the single partition I had on my main drive. Created 2 new partitions. Formatted one NTFS and one FAT32.

Hope this helps

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

Well you could do this.
Insert another hard drive that was formatted using FAT32, you can use a HDD Manager like MaxBlast to do this very easily.

Afterwards you can copy the files that you have converted to NTFS to this FAT32 drive. The conversion process will take place and you can see that there will be time differences on the files about 2 seconds.

And "viola" NTFS to FAT32 converted files on the other drive.

Hope this helps.

OK. Right. Before I try anything, I know this might sound like I'm dim, but, all the stuff I've created on my FAT32 system, then backed up to DVD or CD, will that be readable and unaffected if I run a NTFS system ?

Thanks guys
kwunder

Ta Linney. Time I bit the bullet I think
[bomb]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back