Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ntfrs.exe process is pining the CPU to 99% usage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUANGDI

Technical User
Dec 30, 2002
US
Does anyone know how to stop or fix this process (ntfrs.exe) from using 99% of the CPU. Help!

What are the specs on your server and how many users?

How much memory is lsass.exe using?

~Intruder~

"The Less You Do, The Less Can Go Wrong" :)

Intruder,

Thanks for your assistance. lass.exe is using 0%.
The processor is 1.4 AMD Athlon with 512 DDR RAM OS/W2K SP3. Only 5 users.

Once again sorry.
LASS.EXE is using 24+K memory. mixed up and was thinking CPU usage. I am just filling in for the Admin.... just a W2K rookie admin.

Do you have any DFS shares that you are replicating?

ntfrs usually takes a lot of CPU when it is trying to stage a large file for replication.

good call on DFS.

You may want to download (form Microsoft) SONAR.exe and set this up. This helps you pin down any issues you have with replication in general. If you have a vanilla install of AD, your journal size may be too small, your staging directory may be too small, etc.

Check it out.

~Intruder~

The ntfs journal size is 512Mb on 2000 SP4 and higher by default. This is more than enough for almost every situation.

It could be the staging directory, but if the staging directory was full, replication would stop and I wouldn't expect to see ntfrs chugging away.

But checking the logs and running sonar are good ideas. Or you may want to use the newer ultrasound tool.

Curious... what Service Pack are you running?

~Intruder~

NetIntruder,

First thanks for your help very much. W2K Admin folk like your self are under rated. I have a WAN and security background myself. Very informative. I found that file replication for MACs services was on. Shut it off as no one needs it. That helped right away. Thanks for the sonar tip. I have SP. 4 on the box.

mlichstein, Dido on the kudos to you. I would like to know of a link for the newer ultrasound tool.

The full time admin is back, but I will get back on other issues as we find them.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back