Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTDS.dit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilbonvidia

Technical User
Feb 6, 2007
GB
Last night I promoted a member server to a DC and transferred all of the FSMO roles from the one existing DC. This morning just checking the logs etc all seems okay but I have noticed a difference in size of the NTDS.dit file. On the existing DC It is 35 MB and on the new one it is 28MB. (small office) Is this normal? I plan to demote the orignal DC in the next couple of days.

Yes it's normal, the ntds.dit will often be a different size on each domain controller.

Paul
MCSE

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

From what I can gather its due to the existing database being fragmented and in need of compacting due to redundant info (well not given its size) and the fact that the new database is clean anf fresh and only contains current information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back